Saturday, May 15, 2004

Writing

I read an interesting article in the book I'm reading right now (a collection of travel essays) that talked about writing. The number one tip is that you shouldn't write it like a diary but be descriptive and have powerful openings. Oh. I actually did know that, but forgot. So I'll have to start trying it out in the blog before I leave - cuz this is how you are all gonna read about my adventures.

So while I was in the coffee shop yesterday, I was paying attention to details and saw: gesticulating men elaborating on their point, animated women pouring over a cosmetics brochure and a tired, bored young man next to me typing on a shiny, new, black IBM notebook. Much more interesting with a bit of description. Of course I forgot the rest of it, so you don't get an interesting story about people in the coffee shop. But the next time I observe something I'll make a point to keep notes so I can practice being more interesting ;)

No comments: