Monday, May 31, 2004

Ecclectic International

So I cooked tonight - yes, I know, it is a miracle. I made hamburgs (ie hamburgers sans bun), sliced tomato with raw mozerella balls (very delicious - I skip the oil to cut some of the cals out) and Thai spring rolls. So we had American, Italian and Thai. Ok, none of that stuff really goes together but it was a pretty good dinner. And I even did a pretty good job with the spring rolls! They weren't falling apart all over the place this time.

Of course we were breathing fire from the sweet chili dipping sauce. It is so good but hurts your tongue so much LOL We were pretending to be dragons - blowing air instead of fire. Not sure if it really helped all that much though. It was funny at least. It brought up the question again about why hot countries have such spicy food. You'd think everyone would be sweating enough already!

I decided today that I'm going to go to Thailand for a few days in June. I got pulled off a seminar (not happy about that) and figure if I could cancel my regular classes to do the seminar, I can cancel them to go to Thailand too. I want to go back to Phuket and stay in the hotel that was on the beach with nice balconies facing the water. It is monsoon season right now, but I don't really care. It was monsoon season when we went in August last year and we had beautiful weather. Even if it rains every day, I can still sit out on the balcony and watch the rain and the ocean and just relax. I feel much better now that I have decided to go. It will cut into the savings a bit, but I'm at the point where I really need a break.

So tomorrow, I go to pick up my spousal visa and get a re-entry permit in my passport, and Hiroshi needs to phone Thai airways and scam a good deal out of them. His free ticket is good until the end of June, so I'm hoping that if I buy a full fare economy ticket they'll fork over an upgrade. Don't know how likely that will be. If not, there are super cheap flights right now - only about US$400. Then we can share business class. Hehe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there....guess what??? We have hamburgs too....minus the bun. Glad to hear you are getting a holiday. I get to go to Turkey Pt. in 2 weeks for Jamie & KYm's wedding.....News Flash.....Jen & Mike are getting married next June in Windsor.....ceremony & reception at Essex GCC....will let you know the date in the next few days.....love mom

Liz said...

I always thought they were hamburgers still. It is so confusing here because there is ham-bah-goo (hamburg) and ham-bah-gah (hambergers) and they often sound like the same word to me. I think I need to come home and re-learn English LOL
They're getting married in June??? What happened to October?? She should make it later so her favourite sister can come ;)