Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Video day

I forgot to mention that we went to see a movie last night. We saw Hidalgo (Japanese title: Ocean's of Fire) which was kinda crap. We went to the discount ticket seller though, so at least we didn't pay full price. Hiroshi liked the movie at least. The movie experience was weird because it was in an older theatre. Hello 80's! There was a nice grandfather clock chime to let you know the show was beginning. The seats were mauve velour, and the slope... well, what slope??? And since when is mono sound considered Dolby? LOL It was pretty sad. Now I know why we always go to the Shinagawa - big seats, nobody's head blocking your view, great sound.

Today we tried another new restaurant. There is a buffet restaurant that was supposed to have international food but it just had high carb foods like curry and Japanese noodles. The salad bar was essentially potato and macaroni salad. Oh well - we won't go back. We should have gone to the African restaurant instead, but we'll go there next time.

Tonight we just rented videos. We had thought about the show but have the minor problem of no cash. I forgot that all the bank machines shut down during Golden Week, and you can't get cash anywhere. Period. I stupidly paid cash for our shoes on Friday and forgot to get more cash from the machine. Thus, we have had to scrimp and put things on visa when possible - which I hate doing because I don't want anything on my card! What a pain in the butt. So we rented videos instead.

Hiroshi got a Chinese movie. It was a bit weird. I didn't understand any of it so depended on the occassional plot update from him. It had the usual super-human feats of flying thru the air and balancing on sword hilts and stuff. I got My Life Without Me which is an incredibly sad movie - get a whole box of tissue if you watch this. We got two other movies as well, but we'll watch those tomorrow. He got a Japanese documentary and I got "Rabbit Proof Fence". (still trying to find the link for this).