Sunday, May 23, 2004

Thai cooking

Today I layed around all morning and early afternoon. It was nice. I feel rested again, which is good. I think it has a lot to do with two days off. I eventually got my butt in gear and made my way down to the gym. I made a quick side trip to the pachinko parlour - I felt lucky. I netted 2000 yen (about US$20). Figured I'd better take the money and run rather than give it all back. Then I hit the gym and did some aqua-walking / jogging / kicking. It felt good. Hopefully I'll be able to go consistently this week.

Tonight was my attempt to make Thai food. I got some groceries from the supermarket even! The red curry kinda turned out brown, and bloody hot! I kinda missed the part on the package that said for a milder (note it didn't say mild, but milder) curry to only use half of the pack. So we had brown, burn your tongue off curry. It was ok though. I also made spring rolls. What a nightmare. There is obviously a secret trick to making them that I don't know! Maybe just practice. I think rice paper with a larger diameter would help too. So they looked lopsided, and well, were falling apart, but they tasted good! Sweet chili sauce is yuuuuum! So I'll have to hone up on my spring roll skills. Then when I take my Thai cooking course, I'll be ahead of the game!

So here are my two observations / thoughts about spicy food. Why is it that spicy food comes from the hot places on earth?? I mean, come on, give me a beer and some ice cream! Think about it - Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, and Indian food is pretty darn spicy. And, ever notice that you don't eat as much when you eat incredibly hot stuff? This could be a new dieting phenomenon... of course the coconut milk in Thai curries kinda offsets the small amount that you actually eat... but, I think there's promise here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz.....just to remind you that Jan's birthday was the 18th, Gramma Smith 73rd birthday was yesterday the 22nd, and Renate is the 24th....and then you! Also June 2nd is Grampa Smith's 72 birthday. Gramma & Grampa have sold the motor home and moving back to Ontario soon. Love reading your blog and keeping up todate with what is going on....also love love Erik's blog....he's such a good writer...makes you feel that you are there....love mom