Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Trans-Sib reading
So the latest reading is Lonely Planet's Trans-Siberian railway guidebook. Getting lots of good ideas for places to stop off along the way. I had originally thought of just riding the train for 7 days straight, but we'd probably go crazy, and there are some really interesting places that it goes thru or near.

The big idea now is to go to the northern end of Lake Baikal (it has more water in it than the 5 Great Lakes combined) and rent a cabin for a week and hang out. I want to see moose. I remember seeing moose as a kid when we went to a cottage way up north. It would be super duper cool if we saw a Siberian Tiger, but they are practically extinct and chances are like nil of seeing them. Maybe a bear :) Hiroshi is convinced that this is dangerous and we'll die. He's a city boy.

Actually, I was debating about whether or not to do this - because, well, we can just go up to Algonquin or whatever when we're in Canada. I have never really understood why people always say "Canada - you're so lucky! There's so much beautiful nature!". I guess I'm just used to it. Reading the LP book though kinda makes you think that this is something special. So thanks mom and dad for taking me on all those camping vacations in Jasper and up around New Liskeard when I was young (although I still feel slighted than Jen and Anderson got to go on all the "good" vacations).

Anyway, this sounds like it would be nice and relaxing. Not to mention the estimated time for going thru Russia is September, so the leaves will be in full colour - it should be gorgeous! I'm having wonderful visions of a log cabin, a fire place and a view of the lake with no sign of civilization. Ahhhh....

No comments: