Friday, March 19, 2004

Adventures in Osaki
I totally forgot to mention my adventures after the Immigration fiasco on Wednesday (which gives me a convenient entry for today). Hiroshi had to return some books to the library, so I went with him. I've only lived in this area for two and a half years... and I've never been south of Osaki station!

So the library is on the south side. It is up a huge hill. I haven't been in a library in... well since University. That's sad! It was so quiet and peaceful. And my library kicks ass! It has those cool ladders that slide along rails. I wanted to play on them, but Hiroshi gave me a dirty look. I guess yelling "wheee!" as I whip across the length of a bookshelf wouldn't go over too well. ;) My local library appears to have no foreign language books. so it doesn't look like I'll be going back there. Which is a shame, cuz I really want to play on those ladders.

Ok, colleagues and other non-family members who don't know me really well, this paragraph may fall under the too much information category. So here's the question of the day. Who else gets gas, or the urge to run to the toilet whenever they are in the library? I have always gotten gas - ever since I was a kid. I mentioned this to Hiroshi and he looked at me like I was an alien and said I was sharing things that he didn't want to know about. But upon further pressing, he gets gas in book stores. So, I find this phenomenon rather interesting. I'm sure this happens to other people (go ahead, own up in the comments section!). I know one member of my family finds that it is a sure cure for constipation (I forget who, so don't worry, I won't expose you). My question is why does this happen? So my geeky science friends - please tell me the answer!

Ok, back to normal things. While we were wandering around the other side of the station I found .... drumroll.... a vegetable store!!! Whehoo!! I've been missing my local veggie store ever since we moved here. I hate buying vegetables at the supermarket. They're all super preserved and picked early so they ripen en route to the destination (so the colour and taste is off IMO). Well, I have found the answer to my prayers! A small, squished, independently owned store that has relatively cheap veggies. And the ones that are on sale are priced very well. Now, we'll just have to see if they are up to par with the one I went to when we lived in Musashi-Koganei. That one would give me bags of free stuff if I went there at the end of the day! :)

No comments: