Sunday, March 21, 2004

It's a conspiracy I tell you
The government is out to get me. I swear. I walk all the way down to the inconveniently located post office to pick up my package from Land's End. There is a post office two blocks away from my house, but I have to go to the one 2 km away to get my package.

We arrive at the post office and the guy asks me to fork over about $20 bucks. I asked Hiroshi to ask him why it was so expensive. The guy doesn't know. I pay the cash, then read the form which has English on it. You can get a reduction for personal use items. Great. I go back to the counter. I need to contact customs for the reduction. I have to call them. In the meantime my package stays at the post office. GRRRR!!!

What a total waste of time! So I have to call customs on Monday and argue with them I think. If I was bringing clothes in by airplane myself I wouldn't pay duty, so why are they slapping 10% plus processing fees on? I have no qualms about paying consumption tax (although I've never had to do that when packages came by UPS). I don't think I should have to pay duty though. I don't know, maybe I've just been lucky all the other times.

Depending on the results from that call, Land's End will be getting a long letter from me complaining about their choice of deliverer and their packaging that doesn't clearly state "for personal use" or some such thing. I ordered 1 jacket and 1 swimsuit. I mean, duh, I'm not going to resell them.

Man, why do I have so many problems lately? Who's karma did I stomp all over???

No comments: