Thursday, March 04, 2004

Teeth of steel
So tonight I was happily eating pork cutlet (best meal of the week) with my plastic chopsticks when suddenly there was a loud crack. I had bit the end off! Ok, I didn't even bite them. I was just placing the food in my mouth. I'm sure my teeth touched them, but I didn't bite down on them. It hurt too because of the impact of the crack.
Everything seemed ok though, except for what I thought was a piece of plastic stuck down in between two teeth.... upon later inspection though I found that it broke my tooth!!!

It chipped the corner and the reason I thought there was a sharp piece of plastic was because a quarter of my tooth sheared off the back! It's sharp because the tooth broke off! Luckily it is at the back, and the chip isn't that noticeable, but still. It ruined my beautiful smile :( Everyone says it isn't noticeable, but when I showed Hiroshi, his comment was something like "Holy crap!". He could see it.

I'm going to have to go to the dentist and get it shaped I think. I hope my medical plan covers it. It says "restoration of natural teeth" but who knows what that means. It talks about caps and stuff which I don't think I need because thank heavens the root isn't exposed. It will just be a cosmetic thing.

Apparently plastic chopsticks break like this all the time. One of my students commented that I must not eat with chopsticks that often - otherwise I would've experienced it before. That's downright dangerous! So in addition to all the warnings about arthritis now on chopsticks, there should definitely be dental advice!

No comments: