Friday, September 02, 2005

Low cost iBook cooling system

The battery on my 12" iBook heats up really quickly when there is a lot of hard drive use - such as when I am downloading something or watching a movie. I actually saw this trick somewhere online, but have just tried it out myself. You can buy metal fans that plug into your USB port that act as coolers, but they are like seven thousand yen! Crazy. So my home made solution is PET bottles.

Get two square 1 litre PET bottles. Place them underneath your laptop. So far it works. My battery seems to be much cooler, and the plastic hasn't melted (something I was worried about). An added benefit is it puts the laptop in a better eye-line position, resulting in better posture. I have a bad tendency of slouching to look at my monitor no matter how I adjust the screen. So, if you have the same problems - heat and/or bad poster, try this out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, too funny...please post a picture