Sunday, September 25, 2005

Fish paranoia

So the hokke (greenling - kind of fish) I bought at CostCo came as whole fish, and while they had been cleaned and split down the center, they hadn't been deheaded. So I had to do the deheading at home. Hiroshi was all worried because I was weilding a knife while turning my head in disgust, and then dancing around with the heebie jeebies once I had done the deheading (with knife still in hand). I couldn't help it though - fish heads freak me out. Especially those eyes that seem to say, "Please don't eat me".

Then of course I had to handle the fish, including touching the skin (which I hate, and this skin was scaley and weird), while passing them off to Hiroshi who was wrapping them up for the freezer. This is a lot of effort and stress for three small fish. I think paying extra for deheading is worth it. Too bad CostCo doesn't dehead them. Maybe next time I'll get him to complete the whole deheading operation by himself. Then I won't even have to look at those eyes. *shudder*

No comments: