Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fashion Faux Pas?

The rules of fashion don't seem to apply in Japan - they have their own set that I am not privy to I think. One of the most obvious is the fact that the rules of not wearing fashion trends after a certain age are non-existant.

So today, I'm walking home and I see this sweet little old granny all hunched over (osteoperosis is a huge problem here) and suddenly realized that she was dressed kind of like a goth - but not. She had on a black frilly skirt, a black blouse, and I kid you not, platform stompin shoes (as I like to call them). And by platform, I mean a good 1 foot platform. Seeing as this woman was only about 3 feet standing (probably 4.5 feet if she could stand up straight), this extra 1 foot of height seemed outright dangerous and precarious. And what is an 80 year old woman doing wearing that kind of outfit in the first place?

I mean, who is to say what age not to wear things, but somehow, the goth look seems really inappropriate on someone who could be my grandma.

No comments: