Sunday, September 04, 2005

Insane rain storms

Recently it has been raining like mad in Tokyo - it seems like rainy season actually, but that is in June. The skies just suddenly open up and release a huge amount of rain. There has also been quite a few thunder storms which are also unusual - you hardly ever have them and we've had like five in the past month.

Last night it started pouring again. I had been at the office working late and had my computer with me so decided to hail a taxi - last time I walked home in this type of rain, my umbrella gave out and I was completely drench. Figured a 1300 yen taxi ride was much cheaper than ruining my "baby". Anyway, it just kept raining harder and harder so that the you couldn't even see the dividing lines on the road. I was also really worried about hyrdoplaning because there was a layer of water on the road several cm deep.

It all makes things very amusing. When it is time to get out of the taxi, the driver says, "take care not to get wet". Yeah right! I pushed my umbrella out of the car and popped it up, then grabbed my bag and ran the 10 meters into my apartment, and I still got wet! I think taking the taxi was a good decision! Geesh - don't want to think about how wet I'd have been if I had to walk 15 to the station and then another 15 minutes from my station to my home.

No comments: