Friday, April 30, 2004

Pretending to be in Thailand

Today was kind of a holiday for me because I didn't have to teach until tonight. So Hiroshi and I wandered around together all day. First we went to the bank and paid rent and bills and dropped some money into savings. The savings account is coming along nicely :) Then we hung out at Starbucks for a while.

Actually, I was soooooo bored at Starbucks. Hiroshi goes there and hangs out for hours but I was antsy after 45 minutes. He hadn't even finished his coffee at that point. I think that comments on something. I should be able to sit and relax and do nothing for an hour shouldn't I? Anyway, after moaning about being bored, we finally went shopping after staying at Starbucks for 90 minutes.

So today was shoe shopping day. I needed to get some every day running around shoes, and Hiroshi needed some new shoes as well. So off to Ecco we went! Hiroshi was absolutely amazed. He couldn't believe how cheap the shoes were - well-made men's leather shoes cost about US$400 here. At Ecco they were US$160 - $200. So he got a nice new pair and is all happy because they are comfortable and bouncy. I also got a pair of runners which are really comfortable. I like how the toe is up a bit so walking is easier. It makes your foot move properly.

Trying on several pairs of shoes really works up an appetite so we hit the Thai restaurant in Ebisu Garden Place. They have a really good lunch set. We each got one and shared - Tom Yong Gun (or however you spell it - there are like 20 ways to spell it) and Red Coconut Curry. The curry was delicious! The soup was also good but was made with noodles. I prefer it made with more veggies and less noodles. Definitely want to go back there! Their normal prices are also pretty good - not too expensive considering what Thai food normally costs in Japan.

Anyway, in addition to being really yummy, the restaurant smelled like jasmine and had pretty flowers on the tables and the staff were Thais dressed in Thai clothing. It was almost like being in Thailand. Key word almost. (grrr, grumble, whine about not being on a beach right now). But it was a very nice lunch. After which we came home and had a cuddle and nap cuz our stomachs were so full :)