Friday, February 13, 2004

So this morning I was all happy because I didn't have to start work until 9. Of course that is until I reached the train station at shortly after 8. Despite being able to sleep in a whole extra hour, I should've gotten up anyway and sat in a coffee shop. That way I could have avoided the dreaded rush hour. I haven't been in a rush hour train in like a year. It was aweful. Sardine-like. At one point I was standing beside the door and within seconds I had been levetated (aka pushed and shoved with feet barely touching the ground) to the middle of the car. That's at least 2 meters. While this may not sound far, keep in mind that there were probably fifty people squashed around me and all of us were levetated 2 meters - only to meet the fifty people being pushed towards us from the other direction. Not fun. At one point I was leaning over the person sitting in front of me with my hands on the window. I couldn't stand up because of all the people behind me and was having a terrible time trying to keep myself from being pushed into this guy's lap. Ah the joys of riding the train in Tokyo.

Of course this is all amusing now, but not the greatest way to start the day. One good thing - a very nice lady offered to hold my bag (she was seated). I was having trouble balancing myself with only one hand while humanity pushed up against me. I couldn't hold on with two hands cuz then my bag would've smacked someone in the head. Where else in the world can you give your purse/bag to a complete stranger and not have them rob you blind. Of course she would've been even nicer if she had gotten off the train and given me her seat! LOL

Next time I'll get up early I think.

No comments: