Monday, August 11, 2003

Went to fireworks tonight with half the population of Tokyo. Ok, it is only about 600,000 people that go and watch. It was nice, but I hate crowds and am short of both temper and patience when I am hot and sticky. We did find a place to view them from that was pretty good though. Some of the lower fireworks were blocked due to buildings, but otherwise it was great. Trying to come home was a nightmare. Basically there is one train line that goes by where we were... and when you try to crowd in half a million people onto one train line, well, it gets a bit backlogged. We even walked a couple kilometres to the next station, and it was jam packed to. But we eventually made it to a bar and sat around having a few drinks. Boy does beer taste great when you're hot and sweaty!

I think what I find most amusing is that every Japanese person thinks that there is something awe-inspiring about Japanese fireworks. Personally, I don't see any difference between them and the ones that I would see at Freedom Festival in Windsor (which I believe is the largest fireworks display in North America). Of course, when I tell them this, they are greatly disappointed. Maybe Freedom Festival has just spoiled me? Maybe I should be politely dishonest?

Of course, since I'm always on the lookout for good pics for my photoblog, I went crazy with the digital camera... is 70 pictures of fireworks too many? I was shocked that I had taken that many! And that is the number after deleting the blurry ones! I took a few other pics today as well. Hiroshi and I went out to lunch near Ginza, so afterwards we walked around. Got some pics of very cute kids playing with toy dogs. And a bunch of fish in the Sony Aquarium - which is a huge fish tank just outside their showroom building. This of course got me all excited, because in 16 days I am going to see those fish in the ocean! Can it really be only two weeks away before I am in Phuket???

No comments: