Thursday, August 07, 2003

Today's photo entry is mikoshi (click on the link on the side bar to get to my photoblog). Mikoshi are portable shrines that come out once a year, and are paraded around by men in happi coats and loin cloths. Happi coats are just traditional Japanese tops - like a wraparound coat. The loin cloths are more frequently replaced with pants now. Occassionally a woman will help with lifting the mikoshi. The things are quite heavy and basically everyone just bounces up and down and moves down the street. There are people who push on the side poles to keep it centered and make sure the group stays on course.

It is actually one of my ambitions in Japan to be a mikoshi lifter. Not only because it looks like a lot of fun, but because very few women do it, and I have never seen a foreigner do it. Basically community organizations appoint people to do it. I guess I have to find my local organization!

No comments: