Monday, August 04, 2003

So Hiroshi and I took off to the show tonight to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding... which was released in North America months ago, but, welcome to Japan. A few laughs and an interesting story line for us - as we are an inter-racial couple. A lot of the Greek stereotypes really did ring true, but having lived in Japan for so long now, for some reason they are just interesting rather than amusing. Guess that comes with learning what it feels like to be in the minority. Hiroshi was like "what's up with the statues in front of the house". He obviously forgot about the lions and didn't draw a parallel. Last time we were in Canada he couldn't figure out what was up with all the stone lions in front of houses....

Picked up some chicken and steak this afternoon from Hanamasa which is a cheap meat store. I went to a different one today - mainly because it is about 10 feet from the station as opposed to 1 km away. Walking was not on my list of things to do today as it had to be about 35 degrees. Rainy season has ended, and summer hell has begun. Man I hate Tokyo in August. Anyway, Hanamasa has a rather unsavoury smell to it, and this branch was worse. So next time I'll take the walk. The smell of rotting things doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their products. I put up with the slightly off smell in the one I usually go to because it only costs about 500 yen for 2kg of chicken breasts, rather than the 500 yen per two breasts that you'd pay in the grocery store.

So back to the weather. As I mentioned, rainy season is finished. This year was the second longest rainy season on record I belive - which was fine with me. The thought of 5 + weeks of temperatures well over 30 degrees, and humidity levels around 150% (ok, slight exaggeration there), I am not a happy camper. Air conditioning is my friend and this year we have to conserve energy. TEPCO (electricity company) still only has 2 of 19 nuclear power plants operational. I mean, I'm glad they were forced to shut them down for maintenance, but they should have been doing regular maintenance before. No aircon = bitchy-chan, as my husband affectionately (?) calls me.

Added a bunch of pics onto my photoblog (link in sidebar). The sun was shining thru the curtains, and the shadow from the laundry holder was making interesting designs - so I got creative with the camera. Interesting, but I was hoping they'd come out a bit funkier. I thought they'd make a good desktop, but I think I'll have to play with them first.

No comments: