Friday, June 03, 2005

Travel Board Meet Up

Tonight I met up with Leif, one of the people who posts on the travel board I read (Boots N All). We met in Shibuya because I figured it is an interesting place to see at night - and conveniently I was working there until 7:30ish. I actually finished work around 5:30 though due to a cancellation, so just hung out for a while.

I wandered over to Hachiko (dog statue) to meet Leif at the appointed time, and he had actually been in Shibuya for several hours walking around. He was actually pretty easy to spot, so that was good. As he had been there for a while, he had had a chance to see most of the area. I wanted to go to this nice bar that has Japanese style design but it was packed unfortunately. We went and wandered around for a bit more because the guy at the restaurant indicated there might be space available in an hour or so though.

While we were wandering around it started raining. Luckily we were near Don Quiote so I picked up another umbrella to add to my collection. At least it was only 300 yen instead of 1000. We had grabbed a drink before to have 'on the go' - Don Quiote has cheap everything! Love the open alcohol laws in Japan. Unfortunately, the bar I wanted to go to was still packed when we went back. (And what is up with the whacky rain? I think rainy season has come early - yuck).

So it was off to my local yaki-tori restaurant (grilled chicken) as a back-up plan. The owner was in fine form as usual - yelling and joking. I haven't been there for a while but everyone waved when I came in and shouted hello. For some reason we got pork stomach for free - I like the chicken meat comps better LOL. The stomach was ok though. A bit chewy. (They serve other things than just chicken). Then Leif had to rush back to the other side of the city because the place where he is staying has a curfew. Luckily someone was still there to let him in when he arrived a few minutes late.

So it was nice to finally meet someone from BNA. Erik doesn't count because I knew him from his blog rather than the BNA boards. And neither of us is a muderous lunatic, so that was good too ;)

No comments: