Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Workout Triumph and a New Place to Shop

Today I totally did not want to go to the gym. I wanted to crawl back into bed. I'm sneezing like a madwoman and the constant change from icy-cool air conditioning to, well, hell outside is wreaking havoc on my head. I don't mind hot and humid - just as long as there is an ocean breeze teasing my cheeks and frozen drink gracing my hand. Instead I get a heavy backpack, dress pants and long sleeved shirt to treck around the city in. Yuck.
Anyway, I forced myself to go to the gym and I had an excellent workout. So good for me!

On a completely unrelated topic, Hiroshi pointed out a gear store (i.e. backpacks, camping stuff, mountain climbing gear etc) in Ebisu to me the other day. Today I had some time so I popped in, and oh my god! I'm in RTW trip gear heaven! There are so many cool things there! I mean, I could just put a string in a role of toilet paper (for use in squat toilets - you put it around your neck), but now I can be fasionable and by a funky toilet paper pouch which includes a neck strap. Ok, I know, the string by itself will work just fine and I don't need to look fashionable while I'm *in* the toilet.

They also have a ton of backpacks. I was looking at sizing. 70L packs just look huge - but of course not big enough for a year's worth of stuff. I'm thinking the 55 or 60L bags might be what I want. Will have to try them on and see. The prices at the store were amazingingly reasonable. I was totally surprised. All of the backpacks ran about US$200 which is comparable to what I've seen online. They also have a ton of clothing and stuff that is reasonably priced too. So now I have a new place to shop! Well, I am going to hold off until next year. But for now I can look thru their catalogue and dream of shopping!

I would have linked the store but they have a link policy (ie you need permission first). If you're interested, the store name is Montbell. Add in www and dot com and you're set.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz...
$200.00 for a backpack!!! I got a 70L one in Pusan for $30!! It might be worth a weekend trip to Korea to get all of your gear! So much cheaper!! Or even visit Seoul...a weekend in Itewan would the same...
Hope all is well.
Jo

Liz said...

Heya Jo! Thanks for the tip! $200 seems to be the going first world nation rate for heavy duty backpacks. I might have to go and check out Korea though - and get some yum food while I'm there ;)

How's the bf?