Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I bought a new computer!!

Whehoo!! I bought a new computer today ;) Talk about shopping mania! I got sick and tired of my mouse conflicting all the time and going psycho and taking over my PC... and the fact that my PC is 6 years old - read: total crap. So after work tonight I went to the electronic store and did a little search thru the PCs which were super expensive. Then I wandered over to the Mac section... and not only were they reasonably priced, but OS X will boot in both Japanese AND English! This means that Hiroshi's and my problem of not being able to both use the same computer has been solved! And Hiroshi can pre-write Japanese text files to send e-mail to his sister when we are travelling on the road. Very good.

So I called up Hiroshi on the phone and asked if he happened to have his Bic Camera (the electronics store) point card on him. Usually he keeps these things at home in a pile on the desk so his wallet isn't bulging out all over the place. We hardly ever go to Bic Camera, so I figured he wouldn't have it - but he did. It was a sign! I was meant to buy the Mac. I told him to come quick and talk me out of it. LOL So he came and we talked it over and he convinced me I didn't need the top of the line one. Well, I still think I want a bigger screen, but that one weighed a full lb more, and I will have to cart this thing all over the planet. One lb, while small, will count. The one I got is also much more compact and easy to pack. So it won.

So I'm already frustrated to no end LOL While there is an English display, all of the manuals are in Japanese. I can't get any of my e-mail accounts to work and every three seconds the same window pops up asking me for my password. Grrr. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out tomorrow. Tonight I have to go to bed. Tomorrow I also get to go and buy accessories... like an iPod. Just kidding. I want to get a wireless internet card and a keyboard cover... and some CDs cuz I now have a CD burner.... and a DVD player! I can download AR5 episodes now. Life is good.

Oh, and I used debit card for the first time in Japan. I mean who wants to carry a huge bundle of cash to fork over for a new computer, and I'm sticking with not putting things on credit. So that money just zipped right out of our savings account. It was too easy in fact. I must hide that savings account ATM card.

So I converted. I'm a Mac user now. :)

No comments: