Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Accessory mania

Today I went shopping for accessories. Fun fun fun. I love shopping. I ended up buying the wireless internet card. The only problem is, there is no wireless hub near my house, so I can't internet in bed *grumble* I need to find out where there is a WiFi place around here so I can geek one day. Maybe Starbucks in Osaki will have one.

I also got a keyboard cover cuz Hiroshi says I'm messy and I need one. It's a good idea - my old one keyboard is kinda scummy, so this will make for easier cleaning. And I got a mouse because the touchpad is irritating me. And blank CDs so I can burn things - right now I'm downloading Amazing Race episode 3 and Princess Mononoke (in English - it is only available here in Japanese). Finally with all my points* I got a memory stick. Hopefully that will make data transfer between my old PC and the new Mac much easier. It is a total pain to do it manually.

So now I'm all geeked out. I've got a lunch date with Cal on Saturday so he can tutor me in the finer points of Mac usage. It's intuitive but it isn't. And there are WiFi hubs near our office so I can surf at work. Not like there are computers there with internet access already, but it's the novelty you know.

*Electronic stores give you points here ranging from 5-18% of your purchase value, depending on what the purchase is. You can exchange these for goods at a 1 point to 1 yen ratio. It is essentially like getting 10% worth of free stuff. Unfortunately the Mac only qualified for 5% points. This was actually surprising because I had heard at one time that Mac had disallowed this because it was like discounting the product. Maybe it was urban legend.

No comments: