Tuesday, October 04, 2005

People at the gym

I hit the gym at varying times during the day depending on when I have a couple of hours free. It is actually quite interesting to see the different types of people there at different times.

In the morning, it is the elderly crowd. All these little old men and women are running around. This is a great time for swimming, because most of them just do aquawalking and the lanes are free. Too bad I'm usually busy at this time!

In the afternoon, there are quite a few foreigners and people who I would've thought should be at work. Mostly young people in their 20s or early 30s (I insist that early 30s is young!). This is a bit more crowded but everyone seems to smile a lot more at you.

In the evenings it is horribly crowded with all ages of working people. They all look depressed and don't even make eye contact let alone smile. No matter what time you go after 5, the place is packed. I hate going in the evenings, but that is often the only time I can.

I should say that the locker rooms are significantly quieter in the evenings despite all the people. The senior women all shout at each other and make annoying "soooo" and "neeeeh" sounds. These are Japanese active listening sounds, but imagine if you were listening to a conversation where the one person listening just said "eh, eh, eh" over and over again at about 10-20 second intervals. Or "uh-hunh" at the same rate. Sometimes I want to scream "Say words, please!" So, at least in the evening, when no one makes eye contact, you don't have to listen to that.

No comments: