Monday, May 02, 2005

Relaxation - Day 2 and Irrational Fears

As usual, woke up and enjoyed the breakfast (mmm fresh fruit and real bacon). Then I went down to the beach for a bit. I couldn’t resist going in the water even though I am not supposed to get my eyes wet. So I waded in up to my chest. The water was still calm, so I didn’t have to worry about waves, and the beach was quiet, so I was able to get far away from any possibility of splashing people.

Now I am always a bit freaked out about going into the ocean. I’m paranoid that fish will bite me. Yes, I know this is weird. I kept on the look out for fish but didn’t see any. Later in the day, people told me I had to go further out by a set or rocks – but the water over there was too deep for me to go in without endangering my eyes. Anyway, the water was clear and as warm as the air. It was unbelievable. Actually, I would have liked it a bit colder because then it would have been refreshing. However, in terms of temperature for water activities (where you’d be in it for a while) it was great. I did get to see crabs running across the ocean floor though (little tiny ones). They were also hiding out in crevices on a big rock near the shore.

I didn’t stay in too long. Mainly because I was starting to get sun already, and having suffered a horrible sunburn there three years ago, I didn’t want to repeat that. Also, I realized I have another irrational fear to worry about – body parts. I was constantly looking at the ocean floor as I was “swimming” for fear of stepping on a femur or something. In my mind this is not irrational – the ocean will probably be spitting up bones for years. At least at this point they should be devoid of any flesh. However, it is a bit too freaky, not to mention sad, to think about that.

Anyway, I went back to my room and had a very quick shower to wash off the ocean salt and changed into my shorts. It was off to the spa! All I can say is I forgot how much waxing hurt. I waxed my lower legs, and they were like virgin skin because I haven’t waxed them in about 6 years. Pain. Over and over and over again. After all that stress, I of course needed a massage to relax. I had a nice body wrap to make my skin soft and then a good massage. I’ve decided that the pressure I like for massages is almost the same as the pressure they use to apply body wraps, so in future, I’ll just get the wrap done.

After my treatments I was chatting with the receptionist Joy and she recommended a dentist. She even said she would set up an appointment for me for tomorrow. Great! Then I went back to my room and relaxed for a bit before going out for dinner. The tsunami wiped out all of the restaurants along the beach near the hotel; however, they have rebuilt. And they have rebuilt in much nicer facilities. There is also a huge extension to this little shopping arcade. When finished, it will be a bout three times the size it was before.

The restaurant just outside the hotel was where I had dinner. The food is much more reasonably priced than inside the hotel. Well, it didn’t agree with my stomach and I spent the rest of the evening close to the toilet. So, I’ve decided, no more outside restaurants. The food in the hotel restaurant is expensive but it tastes a lot better, has beautiful presentation and I know it is prepared properly (ie I shouldn’t get sick from it).

No comments: