Thursday, December 18, 2003

Very weird and freaky thing happened the other night on the way home. I have never had a problem walking by myself late at night anywhere in Tokyo - one of the things I love about this country. If you forget your change in the ticket machine at the train station the next person in line will grab it - and proceed to run after you to give it back. Does that happen anywhere else in the world??? Certainly not in Canada.
Anyway, I'm walking home from teh station and this Landrover pulls up along beside me. Not necessarily weird at this point. Then the man rolls down the window and asks if I want to go for coffee. I told him I had to go home, but thanks - figure it is just some Japanese guy who wants to speak English. He pulls forward.. only to stop and put the car in reverse to pull up beside me again. Then he proceeds to 'follow' me at super slow pace. Rolls down the window, says "why don't you come for coffee with me". I again say no. He proceeds to follow me. I'm not very happy with this. So I pop into the convenience store.
Stalker boy stops the car across the street and was watching me in the store. So I pretended to be busily shopping and he eventually left. I was a bit freaked. I called Hiroshi and talked to him all the way home cuz I was worried that he'd come back.
First time ever that I have felt uncomfortable in this country.

No comments: