Saturday, July 23, 2005

now, *that* was an earthquake

There was a big earthquake here yesterday afternoon. I would have to say it was the worst one I have ever experienced in Japan. Talking to Hiroshi later, even he was scared. It was pretty much underneath us, so that would explain why.

What was scary about the whole thing was that it started up as normal, and then started going around in circles. I thought it had finished and went to stand up and had to grab onto the desk to prevent myself from falling over. These slow cicles went on for a while and then suddenly it increased in intensity again and started "bumping". I have felt up and down movement before but never bumps. It was like going down a dirt road in a car. That was not good.

Anyway, it looks like no one was killed. Apparently there were a few injuries in the prefecture north of Tokyo (Saitama) and some minor damage. This is the first time I have seriously thought about jumping under the table!

No comments: