Monday, February 28, 2005

My baby's back

Went to Akihabara this morning and picked my "baby" up. She's almost as good as new... I just have re-install everything. This is turning out to be a major pain in the butt. It took forever to get the software I use for work up and running properly.

Then ran into the fun iPod problem - iPod's are registered to a specific hard drive. Mine died. Therefore my iPod no longer had a home, or a computer it could be updated on! And I couldn't transfer my songs onto my harddrive because it doesn't allow you to do that (to prevent music sharing). Luckily my coworker told me about a program that would let me work around that problem, and now my music is back online. Phew! My coworker also gave me a copy of OS9 in English - OS10 can be set up in any language you want, but because I bought the Mac here in Japan, the OS9 shell runs in Japanese. Which is a pain because I can't read anything. So now I know what I am clicking on at least.

Unfortunately, none of my personal settings were saved in my partial backup. I have nada. I'm trying to rebuild my bookmarks, but so many are gone. That sucks. Luckily I put most of my family and friend contact info onto my iPod so I was able to recover that.

Lesson learned, let me tell you. There will be numerous backups performed in my house from now on.

No comments: