Friday, February 04, 2005

Too many functions!

The battery on my cell phone has not been keeping the charge recently, so I decided it was time to buy a new cell phone. I can't have the thing conk out on me in the middle of the day, and it is a pain in the butt to continually be charging it. It had lasted 3 years to the day exactly (I know this because it is Hiroshi's brother's memorial today, and we got his phones the day he passed away). Considering batteries really only have a decent charge for 1 year, I figure we did pretty well.

So, the new phone. It has so many functions we don't know what to do first. The menu system is a bit different than what we are used to because it is made by Nokia rather than a Japanese producer. The Japanese producers pretty much have the same menu systems. The saleswoman said "I recommend this other phone instead (of the one we bought) because the menu system is very complicated". Yeah right. Easier menus and a 20,000 yen increase in the price tag. We'll deal with the menus thank you. They actually aren't that difficult; it is just a matter of figuring out where everything is.

So, the phone came with a handsfree headset, which is awesome, because I have that thing stuck to the side of my head all the time. Let's hear it for cancer protection. It has voice commands. I can say "call Hiroshi" and it does! Except when I say it with different intonation, and then it doesn't LOL. It has a camera, which isn't a big deal, because our old ones had one as well. I think the big difference is we finally got ourselves signed up for e-mail on our phones. So you can send me messages to my cell phone in emergencies (mom and dad - am sending address by e-mail to you). Only emergencies though, because it costs to receive them and I'm a cheapskate. Especially when I'm already paying for internet at home.

Anyway, that is our new toy. We've spent most of the evening playing with things and trying to figure out how to set everything up the way we want it. Only downside - we didn't realize until about three hours afterward that there is no answering machine on the phone. Only a remote one. Kind of a pain to call it all the time when you have messages rather than just play them back on the phone. Oh well. Now all I have to do is figure out if I can sync this baby with my schedule on my Mac - it looks like I might be able to. Now that would be cool.

No comments: