Thursday, February 24, 2005

My "baby" died!

I was packing up my computer today when suddenly a strange sound came from it... kinda like metal grinding against metal. I thought, "ummm, this is probably not a good sound". Well, my hard drive is gone. Killed, dead, inaccessable. I have lost all kinds of data! I have some stuff backed up, but not all. I am pretty upset at the moment.
I went to Apple after work tonight and waited around for an hour for them to tell me they can't do anything, because they didn't install the hard drive (I upgraded). So I have to go to the place that did the upgrade, only guess what, they are closed Sundays. When do I have time free to go there? Sunday. *sigh*
Of course the data that I need to use this weekend, is, you guessed it, on that hard drive, and not backed up. So, here I am at work redoing all of it. I need chocolate and a shoulder to cry on.
Family and friends: If you need to reach me, I have no access to my regular account. If you sent me a message some time today, I didn't and can't get it. Please contact me via my gmail or hotmail account. You know the address.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arrgghh, I feel for you! My new laptop (just bought in August) had a complete HD failure in January. It was dead, dead, dead. I didn't have backups of it. I had gone to my sister's in Ottawa over Christmas and threw a bunch of DVDs in the bag to do some backups but never got around to it. Too busy sleeping and eating ;-)

Patricia

Didn't really have too much in the way of important things but there were a couple of camera downloads that I put there instead of my desktop. I primarily used the laptop for tv show downloads and music. All the Billboard top 100's that I downloaded were on it.

Amyway, took them three weeks to replace the HD (good old Future Shop) but now I am back on pace. Only problem is that I had done a lot of fine tuning of the laptop, new drivers and enhancements and I can't seem to find all the ones I had before so so bits of it aren't working as well as before. Sigh.

Lesson? Always backup the data!