Saturday, June 19, 2004

Movie Mania

So I was feeling the beer I drank last night when I got up this morning. I haven't drank in a long time and well, I forgot that I now get mild hangovers. Oh the joys of aging. Anyway, I dragged myself out of bed and then dragged myself to the train station, squinting into the bright sunlight wishing I had sunglasses. And as I exited the train station, my student called to say she couldn't make her lesson. The same thing happened last week! Argh! Why couldn't she have called 30 minutes before then? You know, when I was still half-groggy and sucking back water to rehydrate myself... when I could have gone right back to bed! Oh well, I went home and went back to bed anyway.

When we finally got up (Hiroshi is still sleeping all day and staying up all night), I decided I wanted to be super lazy and that I just wanted to go to dinner and maybe a movie. Baked potatoes were calling, so we headed out to Outback. The service was good, the potatoes rocked, and they actually got the bill right this time. So they are back in my good books. Then we went to the gelateria to get some dessert. Blue salt gelato tastes so good!

When we went to buy tickets we discovered that Harry Potterwas playing! It isn't officially released until next weekend. But, the only tickets available were in the first row. So we went back to the original plan to see 21 Grams. And then we saw the sign that Harry Potter was playing all night long, so we bought tickets for the midnight show! Double feature so to speak.

21 Grams was amazing. What a fabulous movie. I thought it was excellent. Incredible performances by everyone. Hiroshi hated it - we have totally opposite taste in movies it seems. I recommend seeing it though. Harry Potter was pretty good. I felt it lacked the mystery of the novel though. Perhaps that was because I already knew the outcome, but I seem to remember that the book seemed much more involved and a bit darker. Sure this one was darker than the other two, but I don't think it quite made it compared to the book. So Harry Potter is entertaining, but not fabulous. I should remember that this is a movie geared towards children rather than adults, so I guess it can't be totally scary or parents would be upset.

No comments: