Sunday, November 20, 2005

Harry Potter movie

Ok, tonight was the big night - the movie that I have been waiting for for weeks. And the rating is: so-so. The CG are awesome, and the film has a great dark feel to it. However, the characters do not have much dialogue and there doesn't really seem to be any character development. The catty 'not talking to each other directly' stuff was done for a matter of 30 seconds. There was very little angst between Ron and Hermione and I seem to remember there being quite a lot in the novel. And, even though the preview shows a very awesome stadium for the World Quidditch Cup, they don't actually show any footage of it! Which makes you wonder what exactly was the point of showing it in the first place. And when the Death Eaters show up in the first scene, well, it just seemed lacking. I think the beginning of the movie could have been a lot better.

That said, it was still enjoyable. The movie had a good feel to it. I guess they have to balance special FX, character development and story. Definitely worth a see in the theater. I think the preview over-sells you though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, considering how thick the book was and the fact they made a decision to make just one movie out of it I think they did a pretty good job at conveying the ideas of the book without going into detail . This one more so than the others really benefits from having read the book before hand just so you could fill in stuff in the back of your mind while watching.

I quite enjoyed it, I think it's the best one so far although I really like the adaptation of the third one also.