Thursday, September 04, 2003

Phuket - Day 2
After a refreshing nights sleep we got up pretty early. Actually I was surprised I slept so well - it usually takes a while to get used to a bed again (I love my futon). We decided to have a pre-breakfast swim in the pool which was fun. Hiroshi was wimping about it being cold, but it was perfect. We had fun splashing each other and holding hands while we walked around the the outer water channel. I know, I know - we're sickeningly romantic. Then we got dressed and went for breakfast. Lots of choice. There were fresh baked croissants that were incredibly yummy. Also had bacon and eggs, yogurt, juice and watermelon cut into little hearts. Hiroshi also had some kind of cereal that looked weird but tasted pretty good. At breakfast we met a couple from Calgary who were travelling thru Asia with their two children. They were really nice and we ended up going down to the beach together.

The beach was wonderful. I never thought of myself as a beach person - I also thought the beach was boring. Well, I now know what the problem was. I'm used to grabbing a towel and hitting the beach on the lake. You lay the towel out on the sand where it gets all sandy, and you get sand all over you, and after an hour you're hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. Well, when you have a lounge and a beach umbrella it is a totally different experience! The beach itself was gorgeous with hardly any people. Very clean, nice view, beautiful colour to the water, and water temperature around 80 degrees. There was a nice breeze coming off the ocean too. I brought a book with me but only read about 10 pages the entire trip... it was lovely just watching the waves.

Hiroshi and I took a walk down the bay first thing. There were a couple stores and I needed to get some flip flops. My sandles have seen better days and were garbage. Got some flip flops, and then walked back very slowly just enjoying the view. Then we went in the water. I have only been in the ocean twice. The first time was in California in February and needless to say I stuck my feet in for about two seconds and then ran out again. Maybe it was even only one foot. The second time was last time I was in Thailand on Ko Samui (island on the opposite side of the peninsula), but that was also a quick in out because it started to thunder and lightening. When we went to another island, the sea was too rough to swim in. So this was my first real experience in the ocean.

Well, the waves were pretty big and there was quite a pull. I was unprepared for one and got slammed down and then couldn't get back up again. Inhaling salt water is not fun. It is gross. I'm sure this looked really attractive, but I was constantly spitting water off my lips - I had no idea ocean water was so salty. After sputtering for a bit after being half drowned a meter off shore, Hiroshi and I had fun jumping in the waves. We just laughed our heads off and had a great time. I went back to lay under the umbrella cuz I didn't want to be in the sun too long and Hiroshi stayed out there for another hour or so. I think it is a cruel trick of nature that I ended up with a wicked sunburn and he didn't even look like he got any sun! It is kinda funny. Guess that's what I get for shunning the sun for about 15 years, hunh?

Around mid-afternoon we walked over to the restaurants off the beach for lunch. We ordered up a storm again - we had stir fried veggies, stir fried shark and veggies, and stir fried cashews and squid which was delicious! The shark was just so-so. Luckily the waitress forgot the noodles that we had ordered! We were stuffed! We shared a bottle of beer with lunch and both had a coconut shake as well. Then the waitress brought us a huge plate of complimentary fresh fruit. We couldn't finish it. And the whole meal only cost us 480 Baht! (which is about $11.75 US)

After lunch we went back to the beach for a bit and relaxed and then took one last swim and jumped waves some more. Because the tide was out, the undertow wasn't as strong, and it was much easier getting back on the beach. Wanted to stay longer but we had a spa appointment. So we got the hotel truck (basically it is a pickup truck that has benches in the bed and is covered with a canopy - common transportation in Thailand) back to the hotel, and showered and got ready for the spa.

Hiroshi has never been to a spa so he was a bit surprised when they told us to strip and put on a towel... especially cuz it was two women. He was like, "everything?". First we had a salt and sandlewood scrub. This actually hurt a bit - I'm sure it did wonderful things for our skin, but both Hiroshi and I weren't too thrilled with it. Next came the massage which was heavenly. Hiroshi actually fell asleep which was really funny cuz he kept snoring. He doesn't remember any of it *lol* Then we had a facial which was so relaxing! This was even better than the massage. At one point Hiroshi rolled over to curl up in a better sleeping position. It was pretty funny. Obviously it really relaxed him :D I was just in relaxation la-la land.

During the massage the esthetician prepared ice water with rosemary oil and something else in it for my sunburn. It was shockingly cold, but felt oh so good. Basically she wet a towel in the water and put it on my shoulders, arms and back. This cooled my skin down enough for her to massage those areas. This remedy is amazing, I wish I knew what else went in it. And it smelled heavenly. I want to get some rosemary oil for the apartment now.

After the our spa session was finished we groggily wandered over to the restaurant. I was craving a hamburger for some reason, so we had that and those yummy spring rolls and lots of juice. Then we stumbled back to our room in a state of post-spa and post-dinner lethargy and jumped in the jacuzzi. It was great. Japanese bathtubs are wonderfully deep (the water comes to your neck) but they are very short. So essentially only one person fits. Hiroshi and I have tried both of us in the one at home, but it is really uncomfortable and there is always the worry we'll get stuck. So this was fabulous because we could both stretch out and relax.

So that was day two. Wonderful relaxing day and beautiful weather. Hiroshi asked me at dinner if I was sure it was rainy season in Thailand. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day.

No comments: