Sunday, December 04, 2005

Uneventful trip to CostCo

Decided to go out to CostCo today to get xmas cards and a pumpkin pie. I figured I could freeze the pie, and that would save me a lot of time in a couple weeks when I am doing the xmas dinner thing with Hiroshi and his friend Yosuke. Well, they didn't have either one! I was able to get a turkey though - forgot to measure how big my oven is, so might have a wee problem if it is too long or high or something. Ooops. Might prove interesting. It is 9 lbs which should be good for 3 people with lots of leftovers. Yum!

We actually left really early for the first time ever. Usually we don't even arrive out there until after 3 - we had finished shopping and were getting on the train to come home at 3:30, so that was cool. I have discovered that it is less busy earlier in the day, however, you don't really notice it. This is because, while there are fewer carts, there tends to be four kids hanging off each one leaning into the aisle... or chasing each other down the aisles. Too many young kids running around. Later in the day, it just seems to be clueless oba-sans (senior women). Not sure which is worse - children with parents who don't control them, or seniors with no clue how to push a large cart who get easily distracted by low cost items. So while it gave us lots of time to do other stuff for the day, it isn't actually a better CostCo experience earlier in the morning... despite my hopes that it might be!

After CostCo we went to Ebisu, with all of our stuff mind you, to get shoes for Hiroshi. I had promised him we would get some and figured might as well get all our running around done in one shot. I also picked up my xmas postcards - yeah, postcards. I'm sending Japanese New Year's cards as xmas cards this year, because I can't afford 300-400 yen per card. (Cal informs me there are 200 yen cards, but I'm picky about what they look like, and I have never seen 200 yen cards). Since Japan doesn't celebrate Christmas, other than going to KFC and getting a bucket of chicken and eating a white shortcake (no, I'm not kidding), they don't sell cards in packs like they would in North America. CostCo has always had them in the past, so I guess I must have missed them.

Anyway, after doing all that running, we just took a cab home. Too much stuff to carry! And we were zonked! Then I partitioned up all the meat - I hate deskinning the chicken. That has to be the worst job. I would probably pay double if they sold skinned breasts. Well, no I wouldn't because I'm cheap, but I wish I could buy skinned breasts that weren't crazy expensive (like at my supermarket where they want 300 yen for one breast - I can get 2 kg of breasts at CostCo for 700 yen, so there is quite a bit of difference there). Now I'm worn out, so I should be able to go to bed early and sleep well!

No comments: