Saturday, December 03, 2005

Planning my first xmas dinner

I have decided to make xmas dinner in a couple weeks (weekend before we go to Kyoto). This should be interesting because I have never made xmas dinner before! I have never even roasted a chicken before, let along a turkey. Everyone kind of raises their eyebrows at me when I tell them this, but it's true. My mom always made the holiday meals... and in Canada I was vegetarian. I only stopped being vegetarian when I came to Japan and it is nigh on impossible to eat that way here (they don't think fish is meat... or pork broth... or multitudes of other products comeing from things with faces). Anyway, I never had the opportunity to make meat, other than grilling some salmon on occassion. Remember how excited I was when I made a roast last month?

So, I'm all excited about turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce... oh yum! Not to mention pumpkin pie. My oven is being put to good use! I haven't figured out what the other dishes are going to be, but really, they are much less important. I just want my apartment to smell of roasting poultry. Excuse me while I drool.

When I was in Canada in June we had xmas in June dinner and it was awesome. I hadn't had turkey in about 3 years (due to not having been home in that time, not having an oven, and there not being that many restaurants that do an xmas dinner here). Anyway, I know remember what turkey tastes like - so I have to have it! I felt jipped at Thanksgiving.

Other than the turkey dinner, I am not doing anything for the holiday. I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned I'm not even putting my tree up. Although I must say all the shops are playing music and are all decorated nicely. This is slighly counteracting the warm weather effect - namely, it doesn't feel like xmas if it is warm outside - but then I think, if I want to see a tree, I should just go and look at some of the huge ones all over the city instead of my rinky dinky 2 footer LOL.

No comments: