Wednesday, August 10, 2005

lucked out on the mystery fish

Today at the grocery store, they had fish on special. Well, they always have some kind of fish on special, today they just had a bit more than usual. I bought some saury - they had whole sauries but I can't deal with heads and guts, so I was very happy to find some that had been cleaned and decapitated. Makes it easy to grill!

I also saw another fish called hokke which translates into Arabesque Greenling. This translation of course does nothing to help me determine what this fish is. It was cheap though (only 100 yen a fish) and cleaned and decapitated like the saury (very important selling points for me). I'm always a bit leary of trying mystery fish because I have, on several occasions, bought fish in the past that tasted absolutely horrible. Well, today I was in luck. This fish is awesome! It is so sweet. Very, very nice. And all I did to cook it was sprinkle a bit of salt on top and grill it for a few minutes. So easy! I'll definitely buy this fish more often.

No comments: