Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina rant

The American news media is ticking me off. Someone pointed out that if a black person takes something it is looting, but if a white person takes something, they "found" it , or they are "shopping". What total crap.

The one that really burns me up is the "this is America's tsunami" mentality. Umm, this is *nothing* like the tsunami. Thousands of people died with no warning during the tsunami. Katrina flooded New Orleans and caused lots of damage, but people did have warning and things were done to save lives. I think it is offensive to compare this to the tsunami in December. Self-centered crap IMO.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

really bothers me that the footage of the problems in New Orleans shows that an overwhelming percentage of black people are being the most affected by this. One can't help but think that things would be different in terms of relief if it were white, middle class being as affected. Just another sad example of the "hidden" racism present in the US.

Anonymous said...

yea, those differently captioned pictures bugged me too...until i read on snopes.com comments from the actual photographers who wrote the captions. see http://www.snopes.com/photos/katrina/looters.asp

not saying there isn't rasism in the media, but this apperently is not one of them.

Liz said...

Stu - thanks for posting. Will link the snopes site in my next post :) I saw the snopes site too shortly after I posted, just haven't had time to update my blog.