Monday, August 15, 2005

it's pouring!

The weather report was calling for rain today, so I threw a foldup umbrella in my bag before I left for work tonight. It had just started to rain as I left the station coming home. By the time I had walked two blocks it was absolutely pouring and there was about an inch of water on the streets. By the time I was half way home, my lower body was completely drenched (weird physics in Japan - rain never falls straight down, it always rains sideways here) and my umbrella was starting to leak. By the time I got home I was drenched head to foot - not quite sure what purpose my umbrella served because even my hair was sopping.

I came in the front door and basically puddled. Hirohsi had a towel for me to dry off, so I stripped off all my wet clothes. When I took off my shoes, there was a centimeter of water in them! I kid you not! They're going to take days to dry out. I was so wet there really wasn't anything to do but laugh. The whole thing was just so ridiculously over the top. I haven't seen big storms like this in Japan in years... well, not since I first moved here 6 years ago anyway. Now we've had two like this in one week. Good for the water table I guess!

No comments: