Sunday, October 10, 2004

Dinner and a movie

Tonight I cooked! Heh, how often does that happen? And I even cooked fish that I have never cooked before. That is always an adventure. Hiroshi says fish consumption in Japan is decreasing because young Japanese women don't know how to cook fish... like me. I never try to cook new kinds of fish because I suck at using my fish broiler (it is always burnt and dry) and I don't know if it is a light fish (like cod) or strong fish (like mackerel).

Anyway, tonight I cooked saury. I only bought it because it had been beheaded and it looked like they were gutted as well. I'm sure those are not the actual terms, but they sound good to me, because if I were actually doing it, it would be a beheading - close your eyes, turn your head and try to whack it with a knife. (See my previous entry this week on my paranoia about fish parts). Well, the fish turned out pretty good! Of course the guts were not a nice surprise, but I was able to cut them off and scoop them onto a plate. I'm sure there was just as much flesh there as guts, but I wasn't taking any chances! All in all, I did a good job cooking my first saury and it looks like I have a new menu item.

After dinner we went to the show to see I, Robot. It was only so-so. Some good computer animation and stunts. Story not all that exciting. But, you do get to see Will Smith's butt. Whehoo! And hey, when did Will Smith get so buff??!! He is looking pretty fine! I was nicely surprised, cuz I still think of him as that scrawny guy in the "Parents Just Don't Understand" video.

No comments: