Sunday, January 29, 2006

I made chicken!

On Friday I picked up a whole chicken from the international food store and I cooked it up tonight. It was my first roast chicken ever! I forgot to take a picture though.

I was actually going to buy another Turkey, but then remembered I didn't like the quality of the bird so much when I found whole chickens about the same weight and about 30% cheaper. So chicken it ws.

I cut up some potatos and threw some mushrooms around it (got those at the international food store too - whole bunch for cheap). Then I just popped it in the oven and OD'd on yummy roasting chicken smell.

It came out perfectly. Hiroshi hates chicken, so the whole bird is just for me :) I picked off a bit of skin - the best way to eat it, and then threw the rest of it out with the carcass. I grabbed all the meat off the carcass and had about as much as the turkey yielded at Christmas time, so that is good. Lots for meals over the next few days. I froze the drippings too after skimming off the fat. Figure I can use them for chicken broth in a soup or something if I get motivated to make one. Or I can make up gravy one day.

So, now I have made a roast, a turkey and a chicken in my little oven. What should I do next? There were some nice cuts of lamb at the store... although Hiroshi would probably hate it because it isn't fish. But, lamb is an idea...

No comments: