Monday, January 30, 2006

everyone is hanging out at the clinic

I stopped into the clinic today to get some stronger medicine... only to find that everyone in Tokyo had the same idea. Everyone really is sick! There were like 30 people in the waiting room, and a line of people going out the door - all of them waiting to be seen. It took two and a half hours of waiting to see a doctor.

I did the whole appointment in Japanese - yay me! I even managed to do the hose machine. I don't know what this thing is, but after the doctor sees you, they send you into a room with this 1970s looking box with several hoses coming out of it. You put an attachment on the hose, press a button on the 1970s looking panel, and some kind of medicine infused mist comes out. You are supposed to breath this. Usually I end up in coughing fits and they just tell to forget about it. Today I was actually able to sit there and breath for the whole time. I'm not exactly sure what this does, but every ear-nose-thraote clinic I have ever been to has one of this medicine mist machines.

I even managed to communicate well with the pharmacist. There was only one point I was confused on - I blame it on fever. She was saying something about pills and my response was about me not being able to take powder (Japanese like medicine in powder form, but it makes me gag so I always ask for pills). Well, it dawned on me as I was walking out the door that she was probably saying the antibiotic would interfere with "the pill". That would be why she looked at me funny -
Pharmacist: "This medicine will make the pill ineffective"
Me: "I can't take the powder, so I always get pills"

Pills are called capsule in Japanese... and the birth control pill is called pill. Everytime I hear pill I think of tablets though. Note to self for next time eh?

No comments: