Saturday, September 25, 2004

A tourist in my own backyard

Tonight was the drinking and karaoke night experience for Erik. Originally a bunch of my co-workers were supposed to come out but they all dicked off, or were tired or sick, so that left Erik, Cal and I to drink together. This actually worked out marvelously because we ended up going to a yakitori (grilled chicken skewer) place that I have always wanted to go to, but never gotten around to. Basically the place is right near my station. Now I'm kicking myself for never having gone before.

The place is just fun! The staff are all yelling orders, joking with customers and really friendly. And, even better, it is cheap and tastes good! So this is definitely a place to go back to in the future. I'm really starting to see how much I've gotten away from seeing Tokyo with new eyes... I've kind of fallen into the same old same old routine of a resident. Of course, I am a resident, but I think I'm going to have to make a point of getting out and seeing more and trying new places.

After a delicious dinner we all headed out to karaoke - even Cal! Cal claims that he is a horrible singer, but he is just saying that because he was sining under his breath. (Cal - I'm going to drag you out to karaoke more often). Cal had to catch his train home, so Erik and I moved on to another karaoke place and sang a ton of 80s hits. Great fun! I haven't been to karaoke in a while, so it was nice to get out and sing!

No comments: