Friday, November 28, 2003

So I came down with a nasty throat infection last night :( Had to call in sick today - not happy about this - today and tomorrow's hours count for about 20% of my pay this month!! In other words, my pay just fell by 20% *sigh*
Went to the doctor this morning. Was at the point where I didn't want to get out of bed, but also knew that if I didn't get meds it would just get worse. Went to a clinic in Shibuya with an English speaking doctor. Why is it that EVERY ear-nose-throat doctor I have ever seen in Japan looks like he is 12 years old??!! This does not inspire trust on my part. And they like wear every instrument possible on their head - when was the last time you saw a doctor with: a mask, a miner's headlight, a mirror, and a stethoscope? He gave me a big stack of drugs though. Then he made me go sit at "the contraption".
For some reason all ENT offices have this ancient box that pumps a medicated steam. For some reason this box is about 3 feet wide, 3 feet tall and 6 feet long. Not quite sure what the stuff that is pumped out is exactly... or why it needs a machine that big to make it. You basically put your mouth around a tube and suck it in. Only the stuff tastes just foul. It is really aweful. I ended up having a coughing fit. I just couldn't do it. I would breathe in and then cough my lungs out. The nurses were laughing at me :(
Then there is the big issue about powder. Japanese people love medicine in powder form. I can't take it cuz I gag. Basically you throw it on the back of your tongue and swallow for that full taste sensation. Blech. So I always have to fight with the pharmacist. The powder is better sayeth they. Not if I throw it up everytime sayeth I. They eventually relent and give me pills.... while laughing at me.
I love being everyone's entertainment. Geesh.

No comments: