Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Yucky veggie chemicals

My mother-in-law, who is a health freak, sent us some kind of powder that is supposed to remove chemicals and stuff from vegetables. When she called she was up in arms because she just learned that Japan was using toxic chemicals on their vegetables. Well, they've been doing that forever. That's why I peel everything. Scary stuff. Well, I no longer have to peel my veggies and now can get the good vitamins in the skin cuz I have the miracle cleaner.

I must say, while my MIL is a bit obsessed, she does find some really cool things. At first I was like, how can a powder get rid of chemicals? And it supposedly gets rid of the wax on some veggies that seals the chemicals in the skin. So I threw some of this powder in a bowl of water, threw in the veggies and came back a few minutes later and nearly barfed. Oh my god! There was a film of slime on top of the bowl! It was shiny and waxy and downright disgusting. Boy am I glad I always peeled stuff before!

So then I put in bean sprouts... and the same thing happened! Not as bad as the eggplant, but still very clear. Yuck! Of course the whole thing makes me laugh in a way. Instead of getting the government to ban the use of the chemicals, someone invented a new chemical to get rid of them. Gotta love Japan.

No comments: