Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Crappy DaVinci Code Exhibit

In my big update, I forgot to mention the DaVinci Code Museum thing I went to. Cal mentioned that it was on and it sounded interesting, so decided to go with him. We hit it on the last day of the event... with a fair number of other people as well.

That is one thing that drives me nuts about museums and exhibits in Japan. There is no such thing as crowd control. If they limited the number of people it would make the experience so much better. Personally, I am not good with crowds and in museums I want to just go from display to display as they catch my eye. Well, that is pretty much impossible here because you have to wait ten minutes until you can get close enough to see anything over everybody's heads. And what kills me is that poeple will crowd around stupid things (as in only worth a minute.. 30 seconds?... of viewing time) and spend 10 minutes looking at them. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, this was no different in terms of people. The exhibit basically showed some of the scenes from the movie (in the Louvre and the chateau's living room) and the famous paintings on giant televisions. Now, would it surprise you to know that Sony sponsored the exhibit? In other words I think I paid 1500 yen to see Sony's new televisions. Nice TVs but I could have gone to Bic Camera and seen them for free.

So, my overall review is that it sucked. I think even if there were no other people, it would have merited some interest, but not 1500 yen worth. I think Cal found it much more interesting than I did, however, he has not read the book yet so got a bit of a storyline from going.

Oh, by the way, the movie sucks too... read the book. It is a quick and entertaining read. Don't expect brilliance - it is entertainment, which is exactly what I want from a book. The book gets a thumbs up from me, but the movie and the DaVinci Code exhibit get definite thumbs down.

No comments: